Sunday, August 22, 2010

On my way home.

Having had a bad turn and not recovering enough from it PLUS missing the boys very much I decided that my best course of action will be to cut my trip short and head home.

So having re-booked my ticket and then confirming my flight I packed and just enjoyed the time with Sandy before my trek home.


Unfortunately I will not be seeing Rhonda and Kathy as I was looking forward to meeting them both but my health has had a major downturn and I need to get answers from the quacks that pose as Doctors so I am heading home.


This morning Sandy and I went for a drive to the famous beach where you are able to drive your car along it... I was a little apprehensive that we might get bogged and I would miss my flight but we managed to keep from sinking in the packed sand.


We headed off to the air port in plenty of time to catch my flight (or so I thought)... once I presented my ticket to the curb-side check in the attendant asked me to go inside check in there... well that should have been my warning that things were about to go bad...


Once I presented my information to the check in assistant she said that I have not been ticketed and I would not make my flight to Atlanta!!! There was over an hour to go and I could not see the problem but she spent the entire time on the phone getting a ticket from Virgin Blue and by the time I was all ticketed my flight had left.... Panic quickly set in!!!

The best she could do was to book me on a direct flight to LA but leaving from Orlando instead of Daytona... GREAT!!! ... instead Orlando air port was a good two and a half hour drive away.
Sandy saved the day by asking if there was a shuttle I could catch and promptly rang the shuttle bus to book me on the next departure... in an hour's time!!!!

So off we went to the Bus depot and another teary farewell... lemme-tell-ya I hate goodbyes and I am going to miss seeing these girls I have come to love and have a place in my heart for.

I had plenty of time to catch my 6:00 pm flight which would get me to LA for my 10:30 departure... barring no more stuff ups!!!!! Met two great people on the plane which work in the entertainment industry; one as a camera man and the other as a sound man and they kept everyone entertained through out the flight!!!

Ok, now I know I am related to Murphy and his annoying law of when something goes wrong it does so at the worst possible time... The plane flight to Sydney was delayed by two hours, meaning I would not get to there in time to catch my connecting flight to Adelaide... all because... they had no flight crew!!!!!

At this point I was ready to scream except I was in an air port terminal with more security than the crown jewels so having a hissy fit would not help me... but I did think about it a lot!!!
Met this couple who are Cherokee and they chatted about all sorts of interesting things including knowing about my friend Colleen and her stand at Wounded Knee!!! Wooo hooo you go girl!!!!

Finally they found crew, we boarded the plane and were thankfully on our way back to OZ... I felt just ghastly and was not looking forward to the cramped 15 hour flight back home... so I watched movies and made the best of it despite the fact they had stuffed up AGAIN the dinner and gave me a regular meal instead of the gluten free one I had arranged...

Yes, getting into Sydney I missed the flight back to Adelaide... I am NEVER going to fly Delta Airlines again EVER!!!!

I rang Alan from Sydney and told him the time I would be arriving and when I finally touched down in Adelaide I was thrilled to bits to see him and to be home... but I felt as though I was a zombie with no sleep and jet lag and the fact I was not feeling well at all...

The experience was amazing... meeting my friends and sharing some very fun times, even though the whole episode with Delta marred the trip considerably but I take with me a lot of experience and the memories of those I met will be with me always...

Now I just need a few days to recover...

2 comments:

  1. What a terrible flights you had... but you're back with your pooh bear and there's lots of time to take deep breaths. I'm so happy you had a great time and can't wait to see your photos!
    xx
    Lianne/Lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it home safely :) Not so good to hear about your health, I did wonder if you were going to survive American "food" with your new requirements.

    Rest up and I look forward to catching up with you in the coming weeks :)

    Sounds like you still managed to have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete