Saturday, August 21, 2010

18.08.10 St. Augustines



With an early start to a little town of St Augustines, Sandy and I drove along the very picturesque coastal route for the two hour trek to our destination. This little town dates back to when the Spanish settled here and the fort on the shore line is a reminder of long gone days where Pirates were amongst the waterways along the Florida coast... very exciting stuff... Jack Sparrow would be proud!!!


Along the way I was surprised to see by the side of the road a loggerhead turtle trying to get off the scorching bitumen and onto the grass verge ... which incidentally all footpaths in the US have very steep curbs.


The town itself is just gorgeous and wandering the cobbled streets was fun and very hot so we cooled off in a little hotel restaurant for lunch where we received complementary Margaritas... (Gee I could get used to this... ) and very good service...

More sightseeing and bargain hunting followed and upon spotting a chocolate store that sold Gelato we indulged in the icy concoction... I sampled the rich dark chocolate ice desert and told the two girls serving behind the counter asked me how I liked the Gelato? My response brought for giggles from the two young ladies when I said: "You two girls must be angels because I had died and gone to heaven!"...

The drive back was enjoyable and having been a very hot and humid day Sandy took me to her favourite restaurant situated by the water and had a very Hawaiian influence from the way the waiters were dressed to the delicious menu.


I kept up the tradition started way back in LA for Margaritas except I first ordered a Pina colada... which was yummo!!! Then had a Margaritas... I think Margarita's and I are going to be firm friends!!!!


Having driven home after a fun day with Sandy I was a little sad that the trip was ending but looking forward to getting home and finding out what was causing this thing in my chest to suddenly flare up the way it does...

Last minute packing and farewell to all her many and varied pets including 5 snakes, 1 rat, 1 iguana (who is a major sook but very cute) an assortment of frogs and turtles and a tarantula called rosy... not to mention the many little lizards, squirrels and birds that come for a visit each day!!!


My time with Sandy was just magic and I loved being in such a richly diverse ecosystem with so much beauty and wildlife.. Thank you my darling for a wonderful experience...xxx

1 comment:

  1. You are a braver woman than I am! I very much look forward to meeting and talking with Sandy some day but not her snakes. I am sorry, there must be too much Eve in me.

    Your photos are fantastic as I knew they would be. I am going to have to come back and spend more time reading. Looks like you had a blast in Daytona.

    ReplyDelete